Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Worst

Here's the thing. I knew this was going to be the worst part of mommyhood going into it. At least for me. And now that my prediction has proven to be true...it doesn't make me feel any better.

Usually being right makes me feel like a winner.

The thing is, there is something I really hate. How some folks feel about nails on a chalkboard or styrofoam rubbing together...that's how I feel about wearing clothes with any sort of moisture on them.

I bet you know where this is going.

Wet jeans, can't stand em. Those are the worst actually. When your pants wick water up from the ground when its raining? Gah. Before galoshes came into style I would literally freeze my butt off wearing something off season if it was cold and rainy out.

As a new mommy, you get to deal with all SORTS of fun liquids. Breastmilk, spit up (you get it coming and going), drool, nightsweats, and all sorts of liquid excrement. Wee!

Those things aren't so bad on their own. All part of being a parent. But when those things end up soaking through your clothes? Gaaaaaaah.

One of the only mommy meltdowns I have had was one night when Ev was about 6 weeks old. It was so hot in the middle of the night, I was sweating like a convict making a prison break, I was feeding her and she pulled off my boob resulting in breastmilk spraying all over (Wet sheets = just as bad as wet clothes) . After managing to get her back on quickly in the pitch black, we finished feeding. I burped her and she promptly spit up all over.

I lost it. I woke up my coparent and made him change the sheets and baby's pajamas while I jumped in a cold shower.

Now, Ev isn't a very spit uppy baby, so we haven't had another night like that in a while.

But yesterday, yesterday she was the spit up queen. Right on my chest while grocery shopping and in the Moby wrap (=trapped with no way to even wipe it off)... There's nothing quite like the smell of partially digested breast milk. Eau De parfume of new mommies everywhere. Later she spit up all over the couch, and my shorts.

Besides my annoyance is there anything worse than feeding your baby all that nutrient rich breast milk your body is working to produce and then seeing it all come right back up? (I know there are worse things of course, but man is that disheartening).

In any case, my day yesterday was a wet one.

Just thought I would share.

Evelyn is 14 weeks old

...and I wrote this post on my phone while breastfeeding in the parking lot of the Navy Exchange. And sweating.

No comments:

Post a Comment